The components of vaccines are a bit scary in and of themselves, specially when you realize they are going into 7 lb. infants, or 18 lb. toddlers. I am not anti-vaccination. Neither am I pro-vaccination. I’ve been checking out this issue for fifteen years. I’ve talked with parents who are certain that a vaccination caused their children’s autism. I’ve also talked with pros who are equally certain that vaccinations do not cause autism or any other developmental disorder.
So, let’s just begin with something basic. What exactly is in a vaccination?
1) Antigens: The infectious agent is the primary constituent of each vaccine. These include antigens such as hepatitis B, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus (DTP), haemophilus influenzae B (Hib), inactivated polio virus (IPV), and pneumococcal antigen (one reason behind pneumonia).
2) Aluminum: This is utilized to increase the antigenic response by trapping the antigen and resulting in a slow launch of it. Aluminum in the blood is assigned to allergy, motor paralysis, local numbness, fatty degeneration of kidneys and liver, learning disabilities, dementia, and seizures.
3) Formaldehyde: This is employed to inactivate the bacterial and viral antigens. Exposure to formaldehyde is assigned to cancer, vertigo, coma, and death. There is not any known threshold level below which there is certainly not a threat of cancer.
4) Thimerosal: Also known as merthiolate, thimerosal hails from mercury and has been utilized as being a preservative and disinfectant in vaccines. Mercury is probably the most potent neurotoxins known to humans. In July 1999, the FDA requested that manufacturers of vaccines remove thimerosal from U.S. licensed vaccines. This occurred after it was said that cumulative exposure of infants to mercury during the first six months of life exceeded EPA guidelines. Thimersol is still used in flu vaccines and in vaccines distributed in other countries. Recent research is showing that thimerosal is much more prevalent in vaccines now than it absolutely was in 1999!
5) Other Components: These include phenol which is used in the extraction procedure of making vaccines and it is an extremely toxic substance produced from coal tar that can cause shock, convulsions, cardiac failure, kidney failure, and death. Ethanol, methanol, isopropyl and 2 phenoxyethanol are alcohols that are used as antiseptics to hinder the expansion and reproduction of microorganisms in vaccines. And then there are the unwanted or unknown components which simply occur during the process. It is particularly difficult to establish reasons behind adverse reactions due to these unknown substances.
So, exactly what are we to create of the? I’m uncertain. Will it mean vaccines are unsafe? I don’t know. Are these substances I might knowingly inject into my very own children’s bloodstreams? No — not without some solid, compelling evidence that it will be to their benefit.
Vaccine proponents repeat the evidence of benefit is apparent. Vaccine opponents say the evidence of benefit is far from clear and this the science behind vaccinations is pretty shabby. Before making a choice, weigh the sumlds carefully. On the pro side of vaccinations, go to the Centers for Disease Control (cdc.gov). For that con side of vaccinations, check out the National Vaccine Information Center (nvic.org).