Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for most can be a back breaking task and many questions arise while looking out onto your yard area to see a vacant plot or an overgrow lawn area which has been neglected to the point of no return. This short article will attempt to answer a number of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Do You Need to Remove the Old Lawn. Yes, You have to eliminate the old lawn. Taking out the old lawn will make sure that whenever you plant the brand new lawn the roots can penetrate from the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal ought to be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you must take into account the grade where your yard currently sits and the volume of soil that you must install to your new lawn. In certain special instances when you might add a layer of brand new soil without getting above grade, you could leave the current lawn in place. New lawns will need a minimum depth of three inches of the well draining soil, rich in nutrients. Most lawn removals can be completed with the aid of sod cutter, employing a bobcat plus an excavator in hard to access yards might be a hazard and could create more work than initially planned.
Soil For That New Lawn. Soil for your new lawn is extremely important to plant health and good growing conditions. Your brand new lawn will spot far better growth over the years when a quality top soil is installed. In many cases the better expensive the soil, the greater quality.
The best lawn should be constructed with at the very least 3″ of any well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain a minimum of 70% sand and also the sub grade ought to be self draining. Soils that have high volumes of wood chips and organic matter should be avoided. Soils that have paper recycling waste and have a strong odor ought to be avoided too. Typically topsoil today is produced from compost, be sure to ask your supplier the items in the soil and make certain the composting process is done. A soil analysis using a neutral ph balance should be requested from your supplier.
Form of Sod or Seed. Sod or also termed as turf is definitely the preferred method of installing a whole new lawn. Sod may be installed year round and turf farms are open to supply all year round.
The variety of grass seed or sod to make use of will depend on:
1. Using your lawn area. This includes the amount of traffic that your lawn area is subjected to, including pets and kids.
2. The quantity of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive at the very least 70% in the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures in your climate.
In most cases turf which comes from the sod farm or supplier will carry a variety of sod that is great for residential usages. Sod farms will grow types of grasses that fair well for new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. Sometimes specialty grasses are available for low maintenance. Be sure to ask…
How You Can Install the Sod. Installing a new lawn may be completed with these easy steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls so the seams tend not to match at the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing a little bit more work and spending a little extra time pulling the joints of the turf rolls together will make sure the grass covers all of the soil. If you leave gaps in between the turf rolls, weeds may grow within the bare patches of soil. Sod installation could be a difficult job in the event you don’t spend the time to do it properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into position using a sharp knife. You could niugpu the scraps to fill out other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together as time passes. You do not have to waste any extra turf pieces.
4. Water the sod when you install. Do not let the turf dry out at any point. In the event the sod is permitted to dry up, shrinkage may occur on the seams and also the turf may die. Installing sod on a hot day may need frequent watering so be sure you are prepared ahead of time.
5. Roll the newest lawn when you complete laying turf. Installing a brand new lawn can be a very rewarding task and provides instant beautification to any property.